Selecting a Godparent for Baptism:
Being a godparent is a great honor, but it is also a tremendous responsibility! It entails being an active and faithful witness to our Catholic faith for the sake of the godchild. Therefore, the Catholic Church has the following requirements in order to be a godparent (Canon 874):
- Be at least sixteen years old
- Have received Baptism, Confirmation, and the Eucharist
- Be an active and practicing Catholic (attending Mass every Sunday and Holy Day of Obligation) and live a life of faith according to the teachings of the Catholic Church
- Living the single life chastely (not cohabitating or engaging in premarital sex), or if married, having a marriage that is recognized as valid by the Catholic Church
- Not be bound by any canonical penalty
- Not be the mother or father of the one being baptized
Only one godparent is needed, but you may select up to two, in which case it would need to be a godmother and a godfather (Canon 873).
If the godparents are married, we do require a copy of their sacramental marriage certificate.
Please let us know if you need help finding someone who meets all of these requirements. We have several parishioners here at Saint Edward who would be more than happy to be a godparent, which can help you come to know our parish community better!